Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Cotton Anniversary

Today, June 5th, commemorates my second anniversary here in Peru. It seems just yesterday that Peru and I first met, thrown together in the oddest of circumstances. The first few days were, in a word, awkward.

Next came the honeymoon period, and we’ve spent the last 700-odd days getting to know each other up close and personal … sometimes too intimately for comfort. Like any relationship, we’ve had our ups and downs, but with time the highs became a little less high and the lows much less low.

A comfortable understanding of each other has now replaced the former awkwardness. In fact, I can’t imagine myself ever feeling awkward in any situation again. For that, I thank you Peru.

To celebrate this special occasion, I went through the volumes of pictures I’ve taken over the last two years and selected a few of my favorites. So here they are: the best-of moments between me and my guy Peru.



Celebrating Christmas in San Miguel






So many memories with Host Mom and Host Bro




Visiting the deepest canyon in the world (and my friend who actually lives there)








Sharing my favorite American holiday (and favorite American foods) with Peru










Hiking through the highlands of the highly underrated Cajamarca










Three birthdays in Peru!








Hanging out with my fabulous students











Helping my artisans pass on their art to High School students












Our Rehabilitation Center for the disabled actually got built!








San Miguel now LOVES pizza









I picked up a few new hobbies ...








... but managed to find some down-time with friends








The San Miguel fiesta nearly killed me, twice.










Oh, and so did the Amazon jungle








I saw geysers!








I crossed into Bolivia!









I went sand-boarding!








I held a sloth!









My Peace Corps bosses came to visit, and San Miguel showed them a good time






Hiking with other Volunteers












Including hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu







My house threw the best parties in town









Teaching Business skills to youth














and they taught me how to rock the sombrero









Two Christmases in Peru!







Youth Entrepreneurship Club








I found my true calling: cheese judge









Did I ever mention San Miguel was founded by Francisco Pizarro? We love him.








And another birthday in Peru








My favorite tradition: Unshas!





Cascade escapades








Boy will I miss Carnival in Cajamarca














and donkey transport













and the other white meat!










but of all things I love in Peru, above all I love Peruvians

No comments:

Post a Comment